What Is Massage Therapy?
- Massage therapy dates back thousands of years. References to massage appear in ancient writings from China, Japan, India, and Egypt.
- In general, massage therapists work on muscle and other soft tissue to help you feel better.
- In Swedish massage, the therapist uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration, and tapping.
- Sports massage combines techniques of Swedish massage and deep tissue massage to release chronic muscle tension. It’s adapted to the needs of athletes.
- Myofascial trigger point therapy focuses on trigger points—areas that are painful when pressed and are associated with pain elsewhere in the body.
- Massage therapy is sometimes done using essential oils as a form of aromatherapy.
Theresa M. Weiskerger, LMT
Available at our South Buffalo Office…Theresa is a licensed massage therapist. She obtained her degree and licensure from the New York Institute of Massage in 2003. Theresa practices Swedish, Deep tissue, Hot stone, Sports and Medical massage techniques.